Saturday, February 18, 2017

Linux vs Windows

Which operating system do you prefer?
Linux or aWindows ?
Lets talk about both the operating systems.

I won't go very deep about their technical details because I myself don't have vast knowledge about both operating system.. :D

But I will always prefer Linux over Windows as long as I don't have to play Games. For games I use Windows, though now a days Linux is being supported to run even the high-end games..

If you are a Computer Science student and love programming ( even if you don't ) I suggest you to learn Linux. It is a wonderful operating system on which you have complete* control of the system.

*if you are a superuser/root

So why do most of the Computer geek love Linux?
First of all  IT IS COMPLETELY FREE. You can download the OS from a wide variety of Linux Distribution available online and install it on your computer. It does not require a very high end computer config. Linux will happily run even if it has a 1GB RAM, 25 GB Hard Disk, No Graphic Card...
It also depends upon your usage. Obviously you can not run a web server using such config. But yes, you can learn about Linux,  Terminal (command line), file system, Bash programming etc..
The best part of Linux is it always comes with all the basic software package installed. ie: almost all famous programming languages like C++, Python, Java, Perl, PHP etc and some services like Apache web server, MySQL, SSH and sometimes DNS servers like bind9...etc..

One feature about Linux that I loved the most is IF you are not root/superuser you can not change ANY configuration files, password etc... or lets say in simple words that if you are not root you can not edit any important files on the system. To edit system files you need to become root using the command "su - " or simply "su" which will then ask you to enter the password. After entering the correct password the prompt will change and you will come to know that you now possess root privilege.

*Be careful. root CAN DO/CHANGE/DELETE ANYTHING & the system won't even warn before changing even the most IMPORTANT configuration files of the system. Because root is root. :D

Because of this feature it becomes very hard to hack into a Linux system until & unless the malicious user gets to know your root password as Linux won't allow any user other than root to edit or delete system important files.
Also you don't have to worry much about viruses affecting your Linux system. There are hardly any Linux viruses out there as compared to Windows.


Linux Terminal: As the name seems, Terminal is considered as the heart of the Linux operating system. You can almost do ANYTHING from the Terminal. It is equivalent to Windows command prompt but is considerably more reliable and powerful than the Windows CMD.
In fact almost every user has a Terminal window open while running Linux as it is useful to do just anything on the Linux OS. Want to install chrome? firefox? programming languages? web services? move files, create folders, delete files.. etc etc.... everything can be done from the command line.
And all of this is possible because of a very powerful command line interpreter (CLI) called Bash (Bourne Again SHell). Bash is the most popular and widely used shell as compared to other shells like ksh, csh/tcsh.
It is itself a programming language. Imagine a programming language running on a command line? How powerful and useful it can be.
Linux is very vash. We can never have the complete knowledge of it. We can keep on learning new things every new day.
So if you really love computers, programming and want to know how a computer ACTUALLY works then search for a good Linux distro today itself, install it and start exploring. I assure you that your love towards computers will be doubled.

Talking about Windows..
Windows is a wonderful operating system. Very simple & elegant. Very good for users with less technical knowledge about computers. Loads very quick when freshly installed but gradually becomes a little slow while loading. At least for me it works this way.
I love Windows because it was the operating system that I used after getting my first desktop PC back in 1997. It can run any games, softwares ( exe files), movies, etc etc.. After all it was made for these  kind of uses. Unlike Linux which runs on super computers/web servers etc. I have hardly heard about any web server or super computer running Windows OS/Server.

Talking about its safety... To be honest after using Linux I am a bit scared to even touch those .exe  files. I have learnt what potential threat those exe file may contain.
There are billions of exe files all over the web/Internet waiting to be downloaded by a user which contains malware, adware, viruses, etc.
Because of this threat it has become a necessity to have a "good Antivirus" installed on your computer running Windows. There are 60-70% of computer users running Windows on their system which makes it the top & easy target of Hackers/Attackers.
Windows users are free to download & install any software from anywhere on the internet/websites which makes it a major security issue. Unlike Linux where there are very few chances of a software being affected by malware/virus as we almost all of the time download software package from its own advanced package tool ( apt ) which are mostly updated and checked by millions of "good users" which eventually makes it impossible to affect your OS.

Talking about basic programs/programming languages, Windows still does not come with any  programming language or any web server installed. Other important services like SSH, DNS, Databases are far out of question.

And to be honest I have never ever in my life used the command prompt of Windows other than these commands:  getmac ( know your PC's MAC address), ipconfig ( know your Internet Protocol settings)
Because it is not even close to the word "powerful" as compared to Linux's Bash Terminal.
In fact I can write a whole new post of hundred pages on Linux Bash Terminal but can not do the same for the Windows CMD prompt, thought I agree it is capable of doing many system related task. But still never that good.

As far as running games, developing/editing movies/images are concerned I think Windows still remain the *best choice* for doing all these kind of work.

PS: best choice against Linux. Because there is always an Apple iMAC to develop/edit images/videos far better than Windows. :P

No comments: