Monday, February 20, 2017

The Dark Web [ a small part of the DEEP WEB ]

How much knowledge do we have about the Internet/Web?

"" In the year 2000, Michael K. Bergman said how searching on the Internet can be compared to dragging a net across the surface of the ocean: a great deal may be caught in the net, but there is a wealth of information that is deep and therefore missed. Most of the web's information is buried far down on sites, and standard search engines do not find it. ""
Source: wikipedia


So today, I thought of having a glimpse of this unknown face of the Internet. It is very easy to visit these kind of websites. Only thing you need to have is TOR browser and enough caution. You really don't have any idea where you can land up. There is a term known as "onionland" which is referred to these websites/areas on the internet which forms the dark web.
These websites uses TOR network to make it "nearly impossible" to find the actual host. Also it becomes double secure as it needs a user to be using TOR network to get access to these websites. These websites have a different top level domain unlike the .com, .net, .org etc... They use  ' .onion ' and you see.. that is where the name "onionland" comes from.

So why do they need to hide from the world? There is only one answer to this question: because they are illegal. You must be wondering that there are already many illegal work going on the internet so why hide? Because you can not imagine the magnitude of the illegal services they provide.

From selling illegal drugs like LSD, DMT, cannabis, cocaine, heroine etc etc to the most sophisticated weapons.. you can find just everything that you can not get on your Google search.
That is what the dark web is about.
Fake  identity proof, fake passports, banking/financial services, hacked credit card numbers, hacked paypal/entropay/neteller/payoneer accounts, counterfeit currencies, foreign currency exchange, hacking services, pornography, escort services,  Hitmen services, military, supply of weapons, stolen items etc etc...

I was totally astonished after watching all this. Hitmen service? Really? WOW! I remember I had bought a game called Hitmen Codename 47 but I never even imagined of buying a real hitmen from the internet.
I wonder how all these even work. Because I would never spend a penny on these services.
I think there is a very less chances of all these websites being genuine. But there are people out there who monitor these websites about the quality of it to let other users know whether it is a scam or genuine. That is how they work...a little money & a leap of faith.

There is a LOT MORE than what I have written here.  But I guess I have given a brief idea about what dark web is all about.

No comments: